Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Mother, Daughter and in the Spirit of Holy Women

   The news these past few days has been FULL of amazing women.  I don't think I can truly describe the sentimental love and pride I feel for women who are involved and are willing to stand up for not only their rights, but my rights, your rights and every other women; young, old, middle-aged, rights.  The women who have been out and about and whom you have most likely heard about or read about at this moment are Senator Wendy Davis and Senator Leticia Van de Putte.

  In the past 24 hours, these women have truly inspired me.  I did not know who either of them were until yesterday while I was skimming through my twitter feed when Wendy Davis' named popped up.  I then began watching her filibuster in the Texas Senate.  Senator Davis was opposing a bill that would make it impossible for women over 20 weeks pregnant to get an abortion and would also close down all but 5 abortion clinics in the state.  I already thought that was extremely impressive, any women who is willing to stand up for women's rights in a room that is mostly filled with conservative Texan senators has guts.  I became even more touched by the tweets and other posts on the internet supporting this women.  I don't think I've ever seen so much positive support for a women on the internet EVER.  I was talking to my mom about it and began tearing up.  Imagine being a women in a room where you are (most likely) going to get negative feedback and to have thousands of women and men online saying "Hey, you, thank you, thank you for giving me a voice because I need one." "Thank you for sharing my opinions thank you for making them be heard." It makes it even more touching because Senator Davis literally did nothing but stand up to Texas' Senate for 11 hours STRAIGHT. In Texas Senate, during a filibuster the leader cannot lean on anything, cannot drink, eat or go to the bathroom.  For 11 hours this women stood there and stood up for us, and as a young woman I can proudly say that Wendy Davis is my hero. 

    I was really into the senate filibuster when Senator Leticia Van de Putte came up to the stand and asked the President for a Parliamentary Inquiry numerous times.  I wasn't paying too much attention until she said a sentence that to me, truthfully embodies women fighting for equality.  "At what point does a female senator need to raise her voice to be heard over the male colleagues in the room?" I have watched the video of her saying this and it almost always makes me tear up.  She is so passionate, so powerful.  Women of America, these are the type of women who are fighting for our rights, they go out there and are ready to ask hard questions, they are ready to stand up for what they believe in in a room full of people who disagree with them.  

So, overall, lets stand with these women.  Let's continue to give positive feedback, to stand up and talk about these issues.  Let strong women like Hilary Clinton, Senator Davis, Senator Van de Putte and others like them to inspire you.  Imagine the feeling of having thousands of people saying "Thank you for giving us a voice." and be a part of that group! Because maybe eventually, you will be that person, the politician who inspires young women or the speaker or even the mother. Get informed, get inspired, get involved.  
 THANK YOU WENDY DAVIS, LETICIA VAN DE PUTTE AND ALL THE OTHER STRONG WOMEN WHO ARE GIVING US A VOICE AND INSPIRING YOUNG WOMEN TO GET INVOLVED!  
(Photo Courtesy of Daisy from tumblr her blog is rad so check it out!) 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites