Monday, January 28, 2013

Inspiration Post #1: David Beauchard

David Beauchard is an artist known for his moving and BEAUTIFUL graphic novel Epileptic, the story of his experiences with his epileptic brother.  In the book, David B. uses visual metaphors, like his brother's disease being a snake like monster.  Not only is the book moving, it is also beautifully crafted. It's done in black and white, and huge huge huge amounts of detail.

A page of David B.'s graphic novel Epileptic

After I read his book, I was really inspired.  I began to draw in just black and white, using shading and lines to add detail.   His art work is simple, yet the more you look the more you see.  At first glance, you see the key aspect of the page but when you look, like really look there is so much detail, so much emotion and beauty in it.  I also really admire his storytelling.  He writes about very personal experiences and you can feel how he feels when you read it.  As a girl who loves writing and art, David B. has inspired me greatly.  I've even started a graphic journal, where I draw about my day, my feelings and everyday activities.  I had always liked comics, when I was younger I read Tintin and Asterix and Obolix, but Epileptic truly changed my views on graphic novels.  I wouldn't call me a graphic novel kind-a-girl.  I usually like books by David Sedaris and Oliver Sax, stuff like that. But Epileptic inspired me greatly, and now I want to just read and look at more graphic novels. More, more, MORE!  
So readers, I highly recommend you google him.  Buy the book, and get inspired to draw, try out new techniques (charcoal, india ink, whatever you like) and to keep on trying!  And here was the first artwork I did after reading David B. 
And I kept on learning, and I'm still forming my own techniques, so go out, read, write, draw, get inspired!
xoxo
egm


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites